Lee Marzke on 21 Dec 2009 13:37:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] WAP DHCP & Cable DHCP and some static IP's

Claude M. Schrader wrote:
> Ed,
> I would give the WAP a static IP in the same subnet as the cable
> modem/router, and disable the DHCP server on the wap, and plug everything
> in. Let the cable device manage IPs.
>
> You do not want to plug everything in as is. Having 2 DHCP servers on a
> network may cause problems, and even if it doesn't, it overcomplicates things
> and will make troubleshooting future problems more difficult in the
> future.
> Claude

The existing static IP's can't be inside the range of assigned IP's.

I agree with using one DHCP.  If you want to have static IP's for your
print server use a DHCP server that supports 'static IP's'

For instance the Linksys WRT-54G,  with OpenWRT or DD-WRT firmware will
do this.

If your using web and mail servers inside your office,  you might want
to consider
a multi-zone firewall  and UTM in  place of the commodity cable device
for improved
security.  The cable device wasn't really designed for security for
hosting local servers.

Also putting outside hosted servers ( email + web ) on the same server
as your
DNS and file server is very bad security practice.

You generally put your outside servers in a DMZ (orange) zone so if they
get rooted
they still don't have access to your file servers on your LAN.

I use the free opensource Endian Firewall
http://www.endian.com/en/community/overview/

This does DNS, DHCP,  Transparent Proxy of( DNS, SMTP, Web, FTP ),
virus filtering,  Spam checking,  QoS ( for VOIP )  ,   OpenVPN  and more.

Lee

--
"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 484-961-0369  voice         +1 484-348-2230 fax