Lee Marzke on 26 Dec 2009 13:33:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Remote access to Gnome or KDE

The old way of doing this was to enable XDMCP,  and you get a remote
graphical login screen.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GDM_XDMCP.html

Unfortunately, with Ubuntu Karmic both the XDMCP server enable,  and
XDMCP login functions are missing / broken in the GUI.

However X is not encrypted,  so you may be better off ssh'ing and runing
'startkde'   if nor not local.    Freenx uses compression and reduction of
round-trip latency and may give you a faster desktop than ssh alone.

Lee

Casey Bralla wrote:
> Well, a little more googling and I figured it out.   Simply execute "startkde"
> and you get a KDE environment.
>

> On Saturday 26 December 2009 2:51:29 pm Sonny To wrote:
>
>> try freenx server. connect using qtnx client
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org>
>>
> wrote:
>
>>> I want to have the entire KDE or Gnome interface for a remote computer
>>> start on my local computer.   I can successfully run individual X apps
>>> remotely, but I'd like to have the entire system appear on my local
>>> screen.
>>>

>>> I know I can always VNC into the remote system, but this tends to be a
>>> little jerky, unlike  how the individual X apps look on my local machine.
>>>

>>> Does anybody know if I can run and entire KDE or Gnome session remotely?
>>> --
>>>

>>> Casey Bralla
>>>
>>> Chief Nerd in Residence
>>> The NerdWorld Organisation
>>>
>>> http://www.NerdWorld.org

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 484-961-0369  voice         +1 484-348-2230 fax