Casey Bralla on 30 Dec 2009 07:04:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] nmap and port forwarding questions

On Wednesday 30 December 2009 9:41:57 am Eric wrote:
> I'm working on a new server behind a firewall that is controlled by a
> third party.
> The new server is running the latest RedHat (5.4) and iptables is turned
> off.
>
> I cannot connect to the postgresql database on port 5432 on the server.
> There is port forwarding on the firewall that is supposed to forward to
> the database server but no one can connect to it from the outside.
>
> When I scan with nmap from my workstation I get this:  (n1.n2.n3.n4 is
> the ip address)
>
> nmap -p 5430-5434 -PN n1.n2.n3.n4
>
> Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-12-30 08:26 EST
> Interesting ports on host-nnnnnn.net (n1.n2.n3.n4):
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> 5430/tcp filtered unknown
> 5431/tcp filtered unknown
> 5432/tcp filtered postgresql
> 5433/tcp filtered unknown
> 5434/tcp filtered unknown
>
> For comparison, this is the same scan but over the port range where ssh
> is running (port 13325):
>
> nmap -p 13323-13327 -PN n1.n2.n3.n4
>
> Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-12-30 08:26 EST
> Interesting ports on host-nnnnnn.net (n1.n2.n3.n4):
> PORT      STATE    SERVICE
> 13323/tcp filtered unknown
> 13324/tcp filtered unknown
> 13325/tcp open     unknown
> 13326/tcp filtered unknown
> 13327/tcp filtered unknown
>
> An internal scan shows the port 5432 as "open".
>
> What does "filtered" mean?
> Shouldn't port 5432 be "open"?
>

> TIA:
>
> Eric

"Filtered" means just what you would think it would mean.  They are blocking
access to port 5432, so this is undoubtedly why you can't connect.

Just because you have not activated a firewall on your server does not mean
that some other firewall is active between you and that server.  I would
discuss this with your server provider and ask for the firewall to be opened
up for this port.  (I  caution that this may be a security problem, however.)

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation