Mike Sheinberg on 13 Jan 2010 10:14:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running Apache CGI scripts as root?

Yeah, I understand that there are a number of bad security implications here. To clarify though, I don't need to run the entire script as root, I just wanted to make sudo calls within the script for certain binaries without a password. The only way I can see to do this at the moment is to disable the 'requiretty' field in the /etc/sudoers file and add the apache user there with the relevant binaries to run. So I guess this was more of a sudo question than anything, so right now I have added the following line to sudoers:

#Defaults    requiretty  (<--- commented out)
apache  ALL=            NOPASSWD: /opt/vstk/bin/, /opt/vstk/programs  (folders where my binaries are located)

seems to be working but feel free to correct my syntax or point out if this is a very bad work-around..

-Mike