Doug Stewart on 14 Jan 2010 16:52:00 -0800

[PLUG] Mercurial + Apache authentication + PHP/Perl/SOAP -- A little help?

Howdy all,

I've got a bit of a quandary on my hands and I'd sure love some help.

I have a client that wants to obscure some Mercurial repos behind an
authentication front-end, allowing for read-only or read-write
permissions for folks who have the proper credentials.  They also have
a 3rd party app that very conveniently allows for user auths and
logins via a SOAP interface. Since most of the affected parties have
accounts on the 3rd party app, it makes user account management a snap
and reduces passwords-to-remember-count by one for all concerned.

However, disturbingly, I'm unable to find a mod_auth_soap for Apache
(sarcasm! [unless there really is one, then: link, please!]) and thus
must rely upon my PHP or Perl skills to handle the authentication.

Ideally, there would be some mod_auth_* that would allow me to call
out to an arbitrary script for user verification, at which point I
could whip up a quick script that would let me talk to the SOAP
interface, handle all the login mess and then hand Apache a
valid-user. Short of that, though, I'm terribly afraid that I'm going
to have to write a wrapper script that will essentially talk to
Mercurial's hgweb/hgwebdir.cgi and, well, that strikes me as
over-the-top complicated for what I want to do.

So: anyone have any experience doing something along these lines? Nice
Google searches that'd find me the info I need? (Polite) Shoves in the
right informational direction?

Much obliged.

--
-Doug