jim fisher on 22 Jan 2010 16:19:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hotkey to bring a window into the forground?

On 1/22/10, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Way back when, in Windows you could assign a hot-key to bring a window
> into the foreground.  I defined my first three command line windows as
> ALT+1, 2 & 3 and have been using that for maybe 15 years.  At some point
> the acceptable keys changed, and ALT+ was disallowed, but I used a hex
> editor on the .LNK file to force it anyway, and it still works up to XP,
> at least.
>
> I know that System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcut has "Run a
> terminal" but I don't want to run a new one, I want to bring my existing
> one into the foreground.  How do I do that in Ubuntu/Gnome?
>
> In case it matters, I'm using roxterm, not gnome-terminal, as previously
> discussed.

wmctrl and a script.

http://superuser.com/questions/16647/custom-hotkey-shortcut-to-open-bring-to-front-an-app

See #2

A quick try didn't work - kept opening new instances, much like a
regular keybinding would - hack at it a little.

--
jim fisher
Jedijf

irc freenode  #ubuntu-us-pa