sean finney on 2 Mar 2010 22:51:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Postfix address re-write rules?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 12:55:19AM -0500, JP Vossen wrote:
> > Possible Solution 3: Also, look into the sender_canonical_maps config option in postfix. It can
> > do some sort of outgoing sender address rewriting, but I have no idea how
> > granular it is.
>
> I found that in my Postfix book after I sent the OP.  (Duh.)  That or
> maybe aliases actually looks really trivial to do, but they are
> all-or-nothing.

aliases for for after postfix has handed off the email to the local
delivery agent, which means that your postfix has to think it's the
destination for that domain, and you then have to hack in a .forward
to the process to put the mail back into the smtp queue... not the best
solution i'd say.

> > Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:36:12 +0100
> > From: sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>

>  > it's possible that you could work around the problem with a custom
>  > virtual(5) map, but with the description being in such broad
>  > strokes, who knows :)
>
> Interesting.  Based on my reading of the man page, that looks like it's
> for incoming mail for users without local machine accounts though.  Did
> I miss something?

if she's sending mail through your mail server, i believe it's possible
to slide in a virtual rule for a particular address while leaving the
rest to the default behavior.  we had to do something similar at work
using both virtual maps and transport maps, to get specific addresses
forwarded to internal services/machines while delivering the rest of
the mail to ordinary users.  perhaps using a canonical map is better
though.

	sean