Art Alexion on 12 Mar 2010 07:59:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hardware, acquisition

I have "commodity" drives running 10 years (Western Digital & Seagate). Very bad luck with Maxtor.

--
Art Alexion
(apologies for formatting; sent from cell phone)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:25:14
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Hardware, acquisition

John Desmond wrote:
> Salutations, gentlefolk,
>
> My current computer's hard disk is making 'need replacement' noises.
> Recommondations for preferred manufacturers and good sources for new
> drives (and other parts and pieces) sought.  Local vendors preferred,
> mail order places also considered.
>
> 100 gig capacity minimum needed.  Reliable, big, fast - in that order
>
> Should anyone wish to comment on points to check, when copying
> everything from old drive to new, please do so.
>
> Finally, at some point later this year, may get new computer.
> Recommendations for good vendors ?
>
> Thanks, very much, for your help with these questions.
>
> Yours, John Desmond

If the hard drive is making unusual noises then speed is probably of the essence.

I understand that there are "commodity" drives and "commercial" drives but I
don't know how to differentiate except, possibly, by price and warranty.  I
understand that the OEM drives at MicroCenter are "commodity" drives.  Having
said that, I have several of those drives in use for more than 4 years without
complaints.

As for a replacement computer - are you into building your own?  I had great
success following this guide:
   http://cr.yp.to/hardware/build-20060107.html
which has been replaced by this:
   http://cr.yp.to/hardware/build-20090123.html
Other related info is here:
   http://cr.yp.to/hardware.html

That last one is more than a year old so I'd look at the i5 and i7 processors
from Intel.  The processor market is very dynamic and can be quite confusing.

I have purchased from newegg.com and tigerdirect.com without any problems and
have heard good things about zipzoomfly.com

Good luck

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas