Conor Schaefer on 17 Mar 2010 12:45:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Help with NFS Share

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:
Conor,

I went with NFS because the reference I was using said it was easier. I am not too worried about security for a home network.

Fstab seems to be the next step, but if it will not mount manually, is there any point in putting it into fstab? I tried it and simply get an additional error,
"permission denied". I don't see anything meaningful in messages.

Thanks,
Eric

 In the example you posted (OP), you were not manually specifying allowed IPs in the server's exports file. Have you tried doing that?

I felt the same way about NFS, and I do think it is drop-dead simple to set up when you're in an all-nix environment. Samba does allow easily sharing cross platform, though, if that's of any interest to you. But you're right, on a home network, if you're using Linux all around, NFS can be a real breeze.

The current configuration problems notwithstanding, naturally.

I won't bore you by chastising you for using NFS instead of Samba, but I do recommend you switch. I recently did and the security is much better! Basically, NFS authorization is generally done by manually specifying IP addresses within the exports file.

So, you want something like this in your exports file:

/path/to/shared/dir 10.0.0.22(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

Then, in /etc/fstab for the host located at, for example, 10.0.0.22, you want a line such as:

10.0.0.11:/path/to/shared/dir /mntpoint nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Assuming, of course, that 10.0.0.11 is the IP address of the server.

Then, on the server, restart NFS (on my Ubuntu server, it's "sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart" I believe). Then, on the client, a "sudo mount -av" should get the share mounted, and if not, print messages to help you diagnose the problem.