JP Vossen on 24 Mar 2010 12:49:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux SMTP honeypots?

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:40:56 -0400
> From: Mike Sheinberg <m.sheiny@gmail.com>
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for Linux-based SMTP honeypots? Specifically, I
> am trying to capture malicious attachments for analysis so I'm looking for
> something that does more than just slow down spammers (like a tarpit). I'm
> running into a lot of honeypot projects that simply stall attackers and
> mimic infected machines but having difficulty finding ones which save files
> that they try to send. Anyways, let me know if anyone has any good tips on
> where to start.

I'd think this would be very easy to do with Postfix.  Lock it down so
it's not a relay, maybe even disable outgoing mail.  Then either create
some users that Postfix will accept mail for, or set up a wildcard
address, then post the trap addresses around.

Or did I misunderstand?  As I re-read, maybe I did.  Above I am assuming
you just want to capture any/all incoming mail (ideally with evil
attachments), but now I think maybe you are wanting to *pretend* to be
an open relay or something, and simply capture rather than send?

Perhaps some clarification is in order?

Sounds interesting,
JP