jeff on 30 Mar 2010 17:33:09 -0700

[PLUG] dying hd?

I had a laptop hd with some bad sectors.  I put in a new hd and went to
copy the good files over and naturally there was a problem.  fsck ate
the file structure and sent it to lost&found.

I have been running testdisk, which seems to find the files but will in
no way let me copy them somewhere.  It glosses right over where to copy
and won't let me select any files or dirs.  I have checked their wiki
and the program isn't working as advertised.

Before I screw things up (further), I'm dd-ing the entire thing to a
backup file.

What is a safe recovery program?

Thanks.

--