Mike Leone on 20 Apr 2010 06:31:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Odd name resolution issue on Ubuntu 9.10

Matt Mossholder had this to say:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com
> <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am. Many AD domains end in ".local". That wasn't an issue with my
>     earlier installations of KUbuntu. Did something change?
>
>     I can't change the AD domain, so how do I re-configure the Ubuntu
>     laptop?
>

> My thinking is that you have two name services that think they are
> authoritative for the same .local domain.  Since it can't find the host
> via mdns4_minimal (which is returning an NX, or host non-existant
> record), it isn't ever making it to straight DNS to try looking up the host.
>
> Try removing mdns4_minimal, [NOTFOUND=return], and mdns4 from your hosts
> line in nsswitch.conf, then run "kill -1 1" and see if resolution works
> correctly.
>
> Note that this is going to break multicast DNS for some newer devices
> like network attached printers, etc.

This is for home, and I have no such devices, so no worries there.

> And finally, in the future, you should avoid using the .local TLD for
> AD. Yes, I know many sites do this, and some people advocate for it, but
> .local is part of the multicast DNS RFC, and has a defined purpose.

Renaming an AD domain is a scary and fragile undertaking, and not to be
done lightly, I am told (we're thinking of renaming our work domain,
though not for this reason). If we did rename it, we'd probably follow
the recommended best practices, which is to use something like ".local" ...

Anyway, I will try it tonight, when I get home ...