Mike Leone on 24 Apr 2010 20:46:29 -0700

[PLUG] Can't mount samba shares

Honestly, it's enough to make you scream. :-(

I can't seem to mount a samba share:

$ mount -t smbfs //workhorse/OldHome /network -o
username=DACRIB+turgon,password=xxxxxx
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

(I'm logging into this laptop as the domain user DACRIB+turgon, domain =
DACRIB. That part works perfectly.)

I have the share name right, and I can query the list of shares on the
other server:

DACRIB+turgon@turgon-laptop:/$ smbclient -L workhorse
Enter DACRIB+turgon's password:
Domain=[DACRIB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
	OldHome         Disk      The Old Home Folder
	Photos          Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (workhorse server (Samba 3.4.0,
Domain: DACRIB, Server: workhorse - NT1))
Domain=[DACRIB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	WORKHORSE            workhorse server (Samba 3.4.0, Domain: , Server:

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	DACRIB

The folder on the server is chmod 777. The share definition just says:

[OldHome]
	comment = The Old Home Folder
	path = /OldHome

Windows stations on the LAN can see the share, and access it. It's just
this Linux laptop that can't seem to mount any shares. (I get the same
error trying to mount any share, either from workhorse or from an actual
Windows share).

I don't know if this has anything to do with it:

root@turgon-laptop:/var/log/samba# wbinfo -a turgon
Enter turgon's password:
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user turgon with plaintext password
Enter turgon's password:
challenge/response password authentication succeeded
root@turgon-laptop:/var/log/samba#

I don't know why the plaintext failed, but the challenge/response
password worked to authenticate. And I know I am using the correct
domain ID and password.

Where to investigate next?