Randall A Sindlinger on 27 May 2010 11:02:33 -0700

[PLUG] Command line directory navigation

Hi folks,

A while back there was some discussion about Midnight Commander and
similar file managers, but none of them seem to scratch the itch I have.

I'm wondering if there's anything out there that will show me a heirarchical
directory view that is collapsable.  Command-line is a must; by command line
I mean it works in a terminal interface.  So something ncurses-y would be
fine.

I don't care about viewing 2 locations at once; just a one-pane view'd be
great.  I tried playing around with folding in vim a while back, but I
couldn't get it to be remotely helpful (I was probably flat out missing
a key concept).  If that worked, it'd suffice.

Maybe I missed something about MC or the other file managers; I looked at
them _very_ quickly.  But they all seemed to either want to just give me
a view of the pwd, or were so jacked up on steriods that they were non-
intuitive.  I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong :-)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Randall
--
  Randall Sindlinger