Gordon Dexter on 4 Jul 2010 20:18:20 -0700

[PLUG] Extracting from weird DVD recorder format

My aunt has a Samsung DVD-VR300 VHS to DVD recorder and she used it to
make DVD backups of her old home movies.  Unfortunately the DVDs that
she created will play only in the original player, and nowhere else.
Other DVD players don't play them, computers can't open them, and when I
try to read the resulting DVD there is nothing.  Windows thinks it's a
blank DVD, and even trying to use dd under linux results in a 0 blocks
copied.  The data is definitely there, but I can't seem to access it at
all.  A few posts online suggest that perhaps the DVD needs to be
finalized, or at least have the session closed, but I can't seem to find
any way to do that using Windows or Linux, and I don't have the original
recorder readily available.

Any ideas?  I know it's possible that the info is recorded in some
completely random proprietary format, but the manual seems written with
the assumption that any random DVD player can read it.

--Gordon