Conor Schaefer on 12 Jul 2010 15:56:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question

  • From: Conor Schaefer <conor.schaefer@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] really dumb ubuntu question
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:56:14 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:received :in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=sY/iIljMaIqfEG5c4bfRuLFQla0wtngk1MJgN2ET2Ig=; b=kq5aa6IDA4un1kkiGu+UyMekOFKCNF6qwTehlzH538upG4YMj77RCY8v6ci7AwVsEu 17d9dpIJwALneHAIsE3/5x0ce7ud2CFQHw/Dq5ybu+2eanH0cVC8l3iXGYraCnkhu6B6 soPUvI7PCRn7vTYaxzWCp8GmQ6VaXbG+d5GxE=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Ubuntu is pretty user-friendly, yes, but if you broke wireless in a terminal, you'll probably have to fix it in a terminal.

Have you tried a simple "ls -l /usr/lib"? Tell her to look through that output for signs of a broken symlink, which should stand out in red. You could also use find with a pipe to grep to return only symlinks.

In the future, try editing the /etc/group file to remove her account from editing network connections.