sean finney on 15 Jul 2010 13:53:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recovery--useful data to collect?--A tangent

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 03:15:16PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> >... /var/tmp is a symlink to /tmp ...
>
> That is severely broken and a Bad Idea because it is a violation of
> the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS).

the FHS is really only a rulebook for distributions.  for users/admins
it can be thought of a guidebook for "this is how your distribution
(should) work".  so if you have enough knowledge of how your system and
distro work to take liberties with the filesystem layout, all the more
power to ya i say.

in this example as long as you don't have some kind of /tmp reaping
program then there's not really any risk in it.  in fact i do something
similar (and worse even) on my nslu2 to save a little memory and lower
disk spinup frequency, by combining all the writable filesystem areas
(/tmp, /lib/init/rw, /var/tmp, /dev/shm) onto a single ram-based fs.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 03:46:29PM -0400, Chris Nehren wrote:
> It's a "Bad Idea" that lots of systems I've been on manage just fine--probably because they ignore the FHS (and 3/4 of them aren't Linux anyway, and have their own hierarchy standards). The idea of a standard among Linux distributions always makes me chuckle because the Linux userspace is too fractured for it to be a reality. But that's a rant for another day.

actually the rationale behind the FHS was that there was NO STANDARD
amongst the various *nix's out there, or even within a single vendor/distro.
there are certainly *conventions* for certain things, but if you wanted
to know where the configuration was for a certain program, well, it might
be in /etc/, it might be in /usr/lib, who knows.  multiply that by 15k
unique software packages and suddenly the FHS becomes quite an asset as
a local admin, since when you know where to look for what, and what you can
do where.

unfortunately there are large parts of the FHS that are under-specified
and others over-specified, but for the most part it's a Very Good Thing
to have, and i think just about every major distro out there acknowledges
it if not attempts to adhere to it.

	sean