Randall A Sindlinger on 21 Jul 2010 06:53:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Confounding login problem

Art,

I have another thing to add.  Are you using nfs or autofs?  On our systems, if the system
can't mount the file system, it will take an eternity to time out.  This occurs even
for root, because it's trying to run quota, which is trying to look at all file systems.

I don't know if other remote file systems like CIFS, sshfs, or others might have similar
issues or not.  You mentioned kernel updates; keep in mind that samba moved from the
standalone smbfs to CIFS in the kernel (and the CIFS in the kernel implementation has known
bugs). . . o 0 (There must be too many ex-Redmond folks 'helping out' in linux these days :-P )

-Randall