[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for distro for DNS server
- From: Art Alexion <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for distro for DNS server
- Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:38:46 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=dHpehFj/5imYsYdm6+PVjo+CARyTr93uXJBQax+XL2M=; b=Le99PSO2hzjYSKp9mpdgUWeVBiRG4jEYS0EgVQpb9qs4svDevKKnwFtKpEnI8+Bbhz RO7gDBMpezNVjcn1fzolBfEBaUDRoJZbdxLyElrOFy7X1O1f5p0Q2nB74q3ZGv2k6I6E iR0BDXri8j2rYzeK8Ea0799sGKOcEhfaXwDr8=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Chris Nehren <email@example.com>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
So, do you really need a DNS server, or an SMS server? (gateway?) For
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:07:01 -0400
Art Alexion <firstname.lastname@example.org
> Damned phone. I typed DNS. I hate software that thinks its smarter
> than me. Then again, if I was so smart, I would have proofread before
> hitting send.
DNS, I would second the FreeBSD suggestion but I lean towards djbdns.
The config syntax is terse, yes. Once you learn it, however, there's a
lot more information per line than BIND will ever be able to achieve.
This means less cross-referencing, which is especially important in an
environment with thousands of dynamically-generated records.
As I had a deadline before this weekend, I downloaded Centos, openSuse, and Ubuntu server. I ended up using Ubuntu because:
1. I couldn't get the openSuse download to complete.
2. CentOS downloaded fine, but the install script crashed 3x in a row during package selection.
3. I am familiar with Ununtu and aptitude.
I will implement the the ubuntu server, but I'm going to try to do the other one with FreeBSD as suggested.
Thanks to all
sent unsigned from webmail interface
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug