Jason Stelzer on 15 Aug 2010 06:03:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Starting X11 with a Trident video card

  • From: Jason Stelzer <jason.stelzer@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Starting X11 with a Trident video card
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:03:28 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:received :in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=39ivbkEY8oN7tdmopAmrTFF3jsYtQKJOybXW1l4bLEo=; b=WCHw8jXlmhlRMA6gVpyqpBfVU/oGpagBHEgcPcpSjabiUZehutrjcwGKSr9NPjFv6j o+SUbz2E6BuPdWqcEwu13pkA8PU3SQcLhwBCb9HKioRjS+kdCLuC68cI/KfVdfvU+A0G f52XK02LsFWexxtoesVSPjxEtcOctmmHWL6Yw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg?

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg may help

On Aug 15, 2010 8:50 AM, "George Langford" <george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:

Art Alexion wrote in reply to my question about getting past the
command prompt while installin a new video card:

> Have you tried moving or renaming xorg.conf?

Yes; even with a brand-new Radeon HD 3650 card, I'm still in the
same quandary.

The old xorg.conf file apparently has a ghost, as the "failure"
message still refers to an inability to find the former nVidia
card, which is sitting on the top of my desk.

Where might this "ghost" configuration file reside ?

I know that both the "xserver-xorg-video-trident" and the
"xserver-xorg-video-radeon" drivers are present because apt-get
pronounces them to be the newest versions.

To make matters worse, the ethernet card, while pronounced up and
running by the OS, even connected, stalls the 'puter with the
statement, "ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): ETH0: LINK BECOMES READY."
[Sorry 'bout the all-caps, but I'm quoting the message that debian
stated.] ÂThis happens whether I start the 'puter with the cable
in ... or when I plug it in after the command prompt appears.
For the time being that's a secondary problem. It's not plugged
in, an easy but temporary solution.

Thanks,