Art Alexion on 15 Aug 2010 14:06:20 -0700

[PLUG] Is kernel hiding my tty*

  • From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Is kernel hiding my tty*
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:06:28 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:reply-to:to:subject:date :user-agent:x-face:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:message-id; bh=/Jk1cxuUom2n9+hZKqgqp+xAif5fLgtM7/24Os8kvGE=; b=O5WXxtywz8vZBRt8vg0HhF2aMJeW+34hibG751Xsea1lkj/ZuZSo4vWyuC4vkXGKgJ KijVvP5eH2WMvEIluvTO9NoNBpUgVN/07/Van5/Cx0LlFy6vIohkhbfBfEPJ5EFmzIDt E6U0rdBcVc+MgNuCIJs4H3mVCjAGXQPZ7mbNw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Several kernel upgrades ago, I started having problems accessing the virtual
consoles on my kubuntu 10.04 upgraded box.  Around the same time I had major
delays logging into kde.  I noticed the former when trying to switch to tty3
to monitor the latter.  I thought they were related.  I think I was wrong.

These login issues had been traced to mysql in another post.  Nepomuk uses
mysql.  Turned out nepomuk was having trouble finding the redland backend.
sudo aptitude install librdf-storage-mysql
seems to have fixed the login problem (though strangely, it was occurring when
logging into gnome as well).

The tty* access persists, though.  I found a post that suggests:
> Virtual terminals (cntl-alt-1,2,3,4,... do not result in video to the
> monitor (no sync) or a display.
>
> If I type blind, I can log in, ssh back to my other machine, and create a
> file. So the virtual terminal is there and listening to the keyboard and
> running, just not creating a display.
>
> This machine has been working fine with 08.10 for quite time up until
> yesterday, so I don't believe it is a hardware problem.

> KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) was selecting the wrong mode. My monitor said
> something like "xyz out of range", vs. "no sync". There are countless
> posts with people having similar problems, mostly with ATI or Intel
> graphics. Mine is an NVidia card (GeForce FX 5200).
>
> I simply disabled KMS:
>
> /etc/default/grub chage:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

Except, as I mentioned, this is an upgraded box.  When ubuntu included grub2,
it configured upgrades not to mess with the older grub.  So, even though my
system is 10.04, I am using 0.97, and the above fix doesn't apply to me.

I found instructions for upgrading to grub2, but would rather not unless
necessary.  Any ideas how to fix this with "grub1"?

--
Art Alexion