sean finney on 18 Aug 2010 15:58:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] more on the wonders of file systems.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 05:49:34PM -0400, Joe Kisela wrote:
> If they are quick mounts for testing or whatever, don't muck in /mnt - thats
> for more permanent things.  Use /tmp

I and just about every major linux distro out there would beg to differ:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MNTMOUNTPOINTFORATEMPORARILYMOUNT

historically speaking, pre-linux this was where the admin temporarily
mounted media for backup restores, etc.  RedHate and Susie invented their own
convention of mounting cdrom's and usb disks in subdirectories under /mnt,
which is i'm guessing where your experience has come from.  but if you
look at a semi-modern RHEL install you should see that even they have
abandoned this practice now :)

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 05:56:52PM -0400, Joe Kisela wrote:
> Please don't make extraneous root directories.  It's against POSIX
> standards.  Make a /mnt/Windows if you have to, but please dont place it at
> the root.  The UNIX gods are spiteful, and will find a way to punish you for
> breaking the standards.

Um, which "POSIX standard" would that be?

AFAIK POSIX applies only to the OS, programming API's, and shell
utilities.  Pretty sure they don't go into micromanaging top-level
dirs (beyond the more standard /bin,/sbin, etc at least).

Even the FHS, the great tome of FS layout micromanagement that it is,
does not forbid the local admin from creating their own hierarchy from
the top level.

In fact, numerous "POSIX compliant" OS distributions out there (HPUX,
for example) invent their own top level directories as well.  So the only
real risk is that your choice of top level directory might run into
one of these...  the chances of that happening are a bit slim.

So, all that being said, sure. if you have a smarter way of mounting stuff
more hierarchically then of course it makes more sense (i.e. a tree of
chroots somewhere under /srv).

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 06:07:57PM -0400, Chris Nehren wrote:
> You mean like /media, /selinux, and /srv (random sampling from an Ubuntu system)? :)
>
> As they've been around since Linus was soiling diapers, /boot, /sys (though Linux, as per usual, uses it in a totally different way), and (much to my consternation) /proc don't count.

Most of these *are* however, defined by the FHS, and the few that make
it past even this should be caught and defined by Debian Policy (if you
happen to be a happy Debian or Ubuntu user that is).

	sean