Edmond Rodriguez on 24 Aug 2010 18:14:13 -0700

[PLUG] Google chat/video

  • From: Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Google chat/video
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:14:06 +0000
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=P65RMvN3ClfRjEVSEQ6JJKIbYUg5L1CHiuocEd3zrV0=; b=GY4kLwdA5zF/4NPPUrQz3kpsGSxhsMnqs4AeZ/sJJPeBDDEDtGQ1UtIzkrkzxkvpI5 vSLYF/2VjflmEX3XWM6L8p1HGPQDwAuttl4HeaP4J6fvh1uj9Ps7QNe4yZPdrC8p5EvY 8s8TX+DeHKzpcbXDe9YnLatW6FWzYdohuzv9o=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Perhaps old news, but Google Chat/Video seems to work on Linux (.deb
plugin install file) now as well (see below correspondence).    Set up
worked fine for me and I could see the web cam image the options
setting, though I did not try chatting with anyone.

I have been involved in helping to support a web cam (gspca module)
for Linux releases, so I learned a bit.    In my case, I had to do the
following, but maybe not true for all cameras.

ubuntu@ubuntu:/tmp$ export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
ubuntu@ubuntu:/tmp$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib"
   (this may not be needed depending on where things are)

Then start firefox from the terminal so the above takes effect (or set
it up some other automatic way).

Edmond