Kevin McAllister on 15 Sep 2010 05:38:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] kernel config/compile sanity check

On Sep 15, 2010, at 4:42 AM, JP Vossen wrote:

> Bonus question.  I used to be familiar with packaging software into RPMs, but it's been a few years and I've never packaged a kernel for CentOS-5.x.  What's the best HOWTO, and do you have any other hints?
>
> Lee reminded me of http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/, but what wasn't quite what I was thinking of.  I had something like this more in mind: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

I'd say the best way to get started is with an SRPM from CentOS.  Going through their spec file (to do that I'd have an rpm build tree, and a .rpmmacro file that pointed at the build tree, and then do an rpm -i on the SRC rpm to extract the source, patches, and spec file and start from there.