Eric at Lucii.org on 17 Sep 2010 08:51:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Apache2/PHP not displaying correctly

Doug:

I have a theory as to what the problem is but not why it's happening.

You're seeing a gzip version of the page that is not being un-gziped.

It is likely
EITHER
 - gzip compression without a proper header
OR
 - something on your server side is forcing a double gzip compression which the
browser only un-gzips once.

To test my theory, load the page of binary "junk" and then save it as a file
like "index.html.gz"  Then, from the command line you gunzip it.  If the
resulting file is the html of the page you are expecting then it's confirmed.

Hope that helps!

Eric

On 09/17/2010 06:19 AM, Doug Crompton wrote:
> The prior message was my attempt to enter into my reply an example of the
> garbage screen characters that are generated. If you can goto -
>
> http://chs-68.org/blog/
>
> and see what you get there. The characters are displayed look like what
> you would get if you displayed a binary file in an ascii editor. I have
> restarted apache numerous times. I have not rebooted the system. The logs
> have no unusual entries.
>

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Ezra Wolfe wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All of the sudden my served PHP pages are not displaying correctly. Using
>>> Apache2 and PHP5. This was all working and word press files were
>>> displaying fine. The only thing I have done that I know of is a Python
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> All I get is a screen full of random characters when trying to view PHP
>>> files. Tried firefox and explorer browsers.
>>>
>>> Any ideas of what to check for?
>>>

>> Have you tried restarting apache?
>>
>> To help with troubleshooting it would be good to post some specifics: Can
>> you check the error logs and post the output somewhere? Both
>> /var/log/apache2 and/or /var/log/syslog. If you don't have apache logging
>> turned on you can turn in on by editing /etc/apache2/httpd.conf or
>> apache2.conf depending on your distro. Look for the logging directive and
>> follow the directions to turn it on. Restart apache when you are done.
>>
>> Can you be specific about random characters?

> *  Doug Crompton	   *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> *  215-431-6307		   *
> * doug@crompton.com        *