JP Vossen on 7 Oct 2010 12:13:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] SUSE 10.2 update

Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 19:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Doug Crompton<doug@crompton.com>

  Great rundown! Thanks for taking the time to explain all that.

Happy to, hope it's useful.

One other thing I forgot, though it's probably obvious, is that you can try before you buy. Just burn a LiveCD and boot the machine. Make sure it sees all the hardware, printers/scanners work [1], try out the default apps, and so forth. And remember that with a LiveCD you lose everything when you power off!

[1] Printers usually more-or-less Just Work, but scanners, esp. over-the-wire, may need drivers and extra setup. Consult the manufacturers web site and/or Google.

Also, if you are used to RPM, I have an RPM <--> APT (.deb) cheat sheet:
http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/apt.html

You can also write a "wrapper" script, and/or use aliases to ease the transition from RPM to APT.

Later,
JP