Carl Johnson on 8 Oct 2010 04:12:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] CentOS 5 on >2TB disks

  • From: Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>, plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] CentOS 5 on >2TB disks
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 07:12:57 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-user-agent:references :in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :subject:from:date:to:message-id; bh=Gkea8fIttdrl7JxCV5V+BYNAwqyPGfAfu8ajAgA0EnM=; b=t+CYXEuI+9lzyrgYGlT/gfbtGuiXNaNMkXlxEm7eVq8dzKgwJmUM9zoXAWsHJzj+Gs M6Vs4FAtEPVZCzDEJe/4g0UelwIl0ZfKbg1GyI5c1EtD6zB24pASz7NfCjzybRkq6MSz oFKZbeKwaU15pf5iFqlasLoTKaoFWzARwC6Ac=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Why not stick /boot on a usb drive? Sounded plausible to me.

"JP Vossen" <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

>I have a case where I need to have LOTS of space in some servers.  Right
>now we're using Dell PE R710's with 6x 1TB drives like:
>	1+1 RAID1 mirror = ~1TB
>	4x  RAID5 = ~3TB
>
>The 1+1 mirror is a total waste, since all it has is the OS and some
>apps.  I'd much rather use all 6 drives in RAID5 for ~5TB.
>
>But if I do that, the boot device is >2TB and so the stock grub1 will
>barf.  And grub2 doesn't seem to be in the repos, and it's still a bit
>unclear to me if it can boot >2TB.  (I *think* it can, but...)  I'm not
>sure I really think grub2 is mature enough for critical production, but
>it it's the only game in town...
>
>I'm also not sure if there are any kernel issues with this.  Right now
>I'm using the stock CentOS kernel, but at some point I want to move to a
>custom, monolithic kernel.
>
>Throwing different hardware at the problem is a possibility.  The R710's
>are maxed out for drives, and I'm don't think there's a CF-Card or other
>option to stick the OS on so it's less than 2TB.  We're looking into
>R510's or something that can have more drives, so we might get smaller
>OS drives internally and leave the externally accessible ones for a big
>RAID.  But sooner or later I'm gonna need to deal with this on the R710s
>too.
>
>Is anyone booting Linux (esp. CentOS) on a boot device larger than 2TB?
>  Grub2 for CentOS?  Clues?
>
>Thanks,
>JP
>JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
>My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
>"Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
>software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
>implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law.

Sent from my Android powered wireless handheld device