Lee Marzke on 18 Oct 2010 11:20:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recent Linux file system benchmarks

Bhasker,

The btrfs results are disappointing if that's the performance will be expected in production.
ZFS/Fuse performance under Linux is also disappointing.

I'd be curious about performance of a NetApp filer ( which uses a propriatary WAFL filesystem, simliar to ZFS ) however it has extensive caching that is supposed to vastly improve COW performance. From what I understand caching writes in NVRAM is the secret
to good performance with COW filesystems.

Note that NetApps I've used ( FAS 2000 ) generally have 12 to 16 spindles per Aggregate SATA volume, so I'm not sure that's valid against your current benchmark. But, still having the advantages of using lots of snapshots without penalty, and still having a very fast SAN might be worth the cost of a NetApp. ( Plus you get RAID-6 equiv protection , and with more spindles, and perhaps better performance than your RAID-0 striped SATA disks )

Lee