Joe Kisela on 19 Oct 2010 09:15:56 -0700

[PLUG] Serial and Parallel ports.

  • From: Joe Kisela <jkisela@gmail.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Serial and Parallel ports.
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:15:49 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=/PTjqB+EolcBjh7HJbBApRqBegJXc+XFHpPVx2WWBz4=; b=S+7z0E79t1Jp7g83gVbbR+MKbk22nKPd8GN7WwqG1L701hWB5gexNrPsjSlIIpWqER Z6/gV3uhglU7yCVO9lCbgpHz3UUOu4vchLfGpQNOscqCwqcob4ItPe39y3JuJn+ioJI6 U0mcK9LlSoKPL9UdvVjNqnTQ2lL7XUWhS9ATE=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi Everyone,

Yes, it has become much more difficult to find board with serial and parallel ports.

No, USB->Serial cables do not work in every case.  I've actually found few cases that actually work 100% of the time.

The problem being is that many Industrial peripherals talk over serial, and toggling power to certain pins can control these devices, as well as send info and receive data.  Writing to a serial device is dead simple, as is implementing a driver for serial.  So, serial will never die.

Check out various Thin Client offerings, while I'm out of that industry now, I know that they always have an offering with onboard serial and parallel, as TC's are often deployed in industrial settings.  Check out Wyse, HP and Igel, although I think that Igel has pulled out of the states.

If you need actual bulk buys, and are putting your software on it, I know some ODMs and can put you in contact with them.

--
-joe.