Eric at Lucii.org on 27 Oct 2010 09:28:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Drupal/CiviCRM Installation

John:

I agree that the files directory should have ownership as described by others:
(www-data:www-data)

All other Drupal files should be owned by somebody else and have the group set
to www-data with "rwxr-x---" permissions for the directories and "rw-r-----"
permissions for the files.  That way, the apache process cannot be compromised
to write files into a directory where they can be served back out.

In the case of my development systems I use a "dev" user so a file looks like this:
    -rw-r-----  1 dev www-data     27958 2010-09-22 02:59 index.htm

and a directory looks like this:
     drwxr-x---  3 dev www-data     4096 2010-09-22 16:02 sites

For Drupal security I started here:
   http://groups.drupal.org/best-practices-drupal-security

with major help from Justin at:
   http://www.madirish.net/security

Have fun!

Eric

On 10/26/2010 01:34 PM, brainbuz@brainbuz.org wrote:
> I'm installing Drupal and CiviCRM  and getting what looks like permissions
> errors on the CiviCRM install, even though the Drupal install went fine
> and the permissions are the same.
>
> Error: Could not create directory:
> /var/www/drupal/sites/default/files/civicrm.
>
> I've manually created this directory and verified that permissions are wr
> for everyone.
>
> This install is on Ubuntu Server 10.10
> I had also tried installing on opensuse 11.3 and got hung up by an
> incompatibility with the system date spewing errors on every page, but
> otherwise succeeded on that platform.
>
> P.S. I'm about to get an account with Linode, if anyone has any new
> customer offers or wants to get a referral credit...

- --
#  Eric Lucas
#