Doug Crompton on 29 Oct 2010 14:51:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ATT/bellsouth.net email problem

Yes it does resolve using an outside server, just like the former DSL
report complaintant....

doug@bridget:~> dig "gateway-f1.isp.att.net" @4.2.2.1

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> gateway-f1.isp.att.net @4.2.2.1
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      gateway-f1.isp.att.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gateway-f1.isp.att.net.  16m48s IN A  204.127.217.16

;; Total query time: 19 msec
;; FROM: bridget to SERVER: 4.2.2.1
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 29 17:42:43 2010
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 40  rcvd: 56

I wasn't trying be sarcastic in any way in that last message. I know that
many or most do not have this problem and unless it is something obvious
you would not know where to look or what to tell me. It just seems so
strange. Perhaps a particular version of named.. I am using....

BIND 9.3.2

Anyone else having trouble resovling - gateway-f1.isp.att.net ?

Doug

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Jason Stelzer wrote:

> Well, it's a little difficult to trouble shoot when no system I have
> access to has a problem with the name resolution.
>
> If you use a different name server does the problem go away?
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> > It was also interesting that the "expert" this guy was in contact with in
> > DSL reports had him looking for problems in his dns. So if there is a
> > problem it is more widespread then just my system.
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Doug Crompton wrote:
> >
> >> I have restarted named several times and see nothing unusual in the logs.
> >>
> >> Here is a link to a similiar problem earlier in the month at DSL
> >> reports....
> >>
> >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24883923-General-Name-service-error-when-sending-to-Bellsouth-accounts
> >>

> >> Doug

> >> ****************************
> >> *  Doug Crompton         *
> >> *  Richboro, PA 18954    *
> >> *  215-431-6307                  *
> >> *                        *
> >> * doug@crompton.com        *
> >> * http://www.crompton.com  *
> >

> --
> J.

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *