Malcolm on 7 Nov 2010 06:33:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On Sunday, November 07, 2010 06:13:50 am Richard Freeman wrote:

> > Zimbra.
>
> Looks interesting - I'll have to check it out.
>
> Are there any open-source client apps that work well with it (for both
> email and calendaring)?  Or, is Outlook still required on the client
> side for calendar sync, free/busy, etc.?

It talks standard protocols, so most clients will work.

I've used Thunderbird and KMail over IMAP with it just fine, with LDAP for
contact directories. Calendaring is a bit more tricky to set up, but doable.

So you aren't tied to Outlook (support for which is one of the paid extras),
but can use it for those that want/need. At work we've a bunch of blackberry
addicts who do just fine with it too.

> It looks like it is designed to be web-based, which is fine except when
> you're offline.

The web interface is actually useable, and I don't like webmail at all.