Julien Vehent on 11 Dec 2010 16:57:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Cable modem & DHCP

On 12/11/2010 01:10 PM, Douglas Muth wrote:
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Julien Vehent<julien@linuxwall.info>  wrote:

I would like to replace the old linksys we are using in the house with a
Debian box connected to the modem (I want netfilter and traffic control).
The linksys is getting it's IP in DHCP mode already. From what I see, the
lease is 3 days long.

Why not install DD-WRT on the LinkSys in question?

Well, I have an atom server that's connected 24/7 for other purposes (including a RAID-5 storage), so I'd rather use that one as a gateway as well instead of wasting another 50W of electricity with a router.

Plus, I have no experience with dd-wrt.

Julien