Rich Freeman on 5 Jan 2011 16:29:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux n00b question

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Finally, after saying all of that, I personally almost never bother with
> anything other than a small swap partition and everything else in /.  I
> monitor my systems so they don't run out of space, and I run Debian or
> Ubuntu on RAID1 (see recent RAID threads) so I don't do clean installs even
> when swapping hard drives or machines.

Great stuff - I tend to do the same, or at least I would tend to,
except for one caveat: RAID5, or LVM.  Depending on your setup, use of
initrd, etc, you may or may not be able to have root, /bin, /lib, and
/etc on some of the more exotic filesystem configurations.

For this reason, I tend to have a small /boot partition and a small
root partition (with /bin, /lib, /etc, and /root) just running on a
straight raid1 or non-raid partition.  The rest of my space I'll
format with raid+lvm+etc as desired.  This allows me to boot with a
standard grub and without an initrd or any crazy tricks.

Newbies aren't going to be messing with any such stuff, and I imagine
that distros like Ubuntu probably supply an initrd that will work with
anything their installer will set up.  However, if you are planning
anything exotic I would keep a small boot and root partition separate
and simple.