Andrew Tsen on 10 Jan 2011 10:15:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] mailman using exchange as transport

2011/1/10 Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>:
> Is this possible? ÂI can find questions through google, but no answers.
>
> We are trying to move some of our larger Exchange-hosted lists to
> subscription type mailman lists. ÂI am testing mailman on an Ubuntu
> box on the company Windows network. ÂThe production machine will
> either be Ubuntu or Debian. ÂI'd like to use the existing Exchange
> server as the transport, but I suppose I can install postfix or
> something easy on the server hosting mailman if that is the only or
> best way to go.
>
> Has anyone done this successfully? ÂIf it can't be done, what is the
> easiest mta to administer because it will only be used for mailman?

I've done hybrid version of this where the mailman box is its own MTA
to sending out mailman messages.  But set the reply-to to the original
exchange's SMTP address listed in the Global Addressbook.

Outgoing emails go out from mailman.  Incoming emails route back in
through exchange.

Exchange server also have SMTP connectors and aliases that match the
mailman aliases (-admin, -bounces, -confirm, etc).