Jack Hill on 10 Jan 2011 18:10:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DVD playback not close to working

On Monday, January 10, 2011 08:21:50 pm Adam Zion wrote:
> OK, big problems w/DVD playback. I know that the DVD-RW drive *should*
> work, since I have used it to read and write data files to CDs + DVDs.
> But no dice with DVD playback. VLC gives me the following errors:
>
> Playback failure:
> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
> Your input can't be opened:
> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
>
> Unfortunately, a Google search on the above only yielded suggestions
> to do what I'd already done, which was reinstall
> ubuntu-restricted-extras and ubuntu-restricted-addons.
>
> One variable: this DVD-RW is not a factory install in my Ratel Ultra.
> I had planned to transfer my EIDE drives over, and hadn't considered
> that the new box might not include any EIDE connectors whatsoever. So,
> I had to purchase a third-party DVD-RW drive. There is a possibility
> that there is a jumper I had to move, or that I needed to use a
> different SATA port than I did.
>
> Any assistance would be much appreciated, since I have precious little
> hair remaining to pull out of my head.
>
> Thx,
> -Z

You might want to try something other than vlc (like mplayer) to see if you
get a different or more informative error (or maybe it will just work,
wouldn't that be nice :))

If you suspect a read error you could do something like
cat /dev/dvd > /dev/null
to make the drive read the entire disk and see if you get any errors.

Jack