Randall A Sindlinger on 12 Jan 2011 14:28:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop) for Linux - interested?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 05:08:27PM -0500, Chris Nehren wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:34:09 -0500
> Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
>
> > Adobe is considering making Creative Suite, which includes Photoshop,
> > available for Linux, and they want to know if people are interested:
> >
> > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/creative-suite-for-linux-an-update/
> > http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/produce_creative_suite_for_linux
>
> So they want to expend months, perhaps years, porting their flagship
> suite to a new platform, yet they can't even manage to keep the Flash
> player up to date across 32/64 bits? Call me skeptical.

No, that's just it - they *don't* want to.  But one of their employees thinks
it'd be a good idea - http://forums.adobe.com/people/Carey%20Burgess
(Yeah, his profile is empty, but it legitimizes his involvement on the other
2 NON-adobe sites (omgubuntu and getsatisfaction))

My take is that he's spearheading this from the inside, but it's an uphill
battle.  His boss probably said "Yeah, and who would buy it?  Those linux
bastards are cheap-ass open source purists!"  ...or something along those
lines :-)

Flash player doesn't have a direct impact on their bottom line - anyone
have Flash for IRIX?  :-D

I'd say we're kinda lucky that anyone at Adobe was allowed to spend time
on it - Steve Jobs won't let it on the iPhone (and he *does* have a point).
This campaign seems like it might be a chance to move linux support from
being the intern's job to being a full-fledged work group if it succeeds.

-Randall

PS - FWIW, I don't really like Adobe software, *especially* Acrobat Reader.
But what I *do* like is seeing a Windows/Mac-centric company considering
a real entrance into the Linux market.  It may even catch the attention of
other software vendors - now that'd be really nice.