K.S. Bhaskar on 23 Jan 2011 16:07:28 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Need recommendations for USB sound card
- From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] Need recommendations for USB sound card
- Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:07:22 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:date:x-google-sender-auth :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=izcLpoaB1CNKDTIvaDL+6Ro7MyQqrrLhMGsEjB7yCls=; b=wT/63NdVEC70TBbBGhxHfrycgCXz6Q7jFe+SAUME2At7Phe5i8fFONqoxIpKFehqHf eQ7aLdz92HCadhGkGx0VVu8FdusuIHg6NjhNpwHyUFRsQiOy+ZS2RfmJDdp9bJKkQRkS 1J6yoptFn+2AowDZX2yMakPk63UdDcW9FxbNc=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Although I did audio for my college campus TV station, I am unfortunately a complete newbie when it comes to audio with computers.)
One of my sons (who is in high school) wants to synthesize, record and mix music.Â Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent (not too expensive) USB 2.0 sound "card" that works well with Linux?Â It probably needs 3-4 inputs, and appropriate outputs.
Also, if he wants to access a MIDI keyboard, does he need anything more than a USB MIDI cable?Â In other words, does he need to check about drivers for MIDI instruments or is the MIDI interface standard enough to not require device drivers?
He is also concerned about latency of USB 2.0.Â I have said that in my opinion, he shouldn't need to worry for audio - only when / if he gets to video does he need to worry about interfaces like Firewire (which his laptop doesn't have - it has an eSATA connector, and an HDMI connector, but no Firewire).
Thanks in advance.
Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug