Douglas Muth on 27 Jan 2011 07:26:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] why apple

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Ron Kaye Jr <rekaye1005@verizon.net> wrote:
> my daughter is almost 30
> she wants an apple mac
>
> dad hates apple ( i go back to apple iic!)
> proprietary, more expensive, gotta pay for everything (ugh)

For me, the "interface" of the hardware itself is a big deal.  I own
several Macs, and they tend to have a "polished" appearance, if that
makes any sense.  Contrast with most PCs that I've seen, which look a
bit on the ugly side, either by having bright colors, or bad color
schemes (I'm thinking gray and blue here), or blocky looking plastic
cases.  My Mac Mini, on the other hand, "stays" out of the way, in
that I hard notice the computer is even there.

The 3-year Applecare warranty is nice, too.  I once had a hard disk
fail on a Powerbook.  I shipped it out on a Wednesday, got it back on
a Monday.  Pretty impressive considering that that Thursday was
Thanksgiving Day.  Didn't cost me a cent.

The lack of spyware issues is also a big deal to me, especially when I
have to support relatives' computers.  The number of malware incidents
I've had between all my relatives is exactly zero.

The BSD core is also nice.  I can write shell scripts and do UNIXy
things, such as running screen and rsyncing my files across all
machines.  Macports lets me compile pretty much whatever I want, too.

Those are my reasons.

-- Doug

--
Douglas T. Muth * Philadelphia, PA, USA