Rich Freeman on 27 Jan 2011 19:11:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] why apple

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Morgan Jones <morgan@morganjones.org> wrote:
> iTunes is surprisingly good in combination with an iPhone

Depends - if you do everything the Apple way, sure.  If you hold your
phone wrong or whatever, then you get to keep the pieces.

I can't tell you how many itunes frustrations I've had over the years
with an ipod one of the kids got.

If you import a folder full of mp3 or aac files into a folder stored
on the local hard drive, itunes works great, and will load up your
ipod.

Oh, but if you want to load two mp3 files from your friend's computer,
forget it.  Unless, of course, you want to wipe your ipod and load it
up with an entire library of your friend's.  You need to transport the
two files back to your own computer, and load them there.

And, if you have files in any format other than mp3 or aac you need to
do a transcode - manually of course since itunes can't do this.  Then
you need to load a copy of that music onto the local hard drive.

Once you're done loading that music you shouldn't need a copy of the
lossy transcoded file, right?  Why not delete it to save space - you
can recreate it at any time?  Well, do that and itunes will
automatically delete it from your ipod on the next sync.

The apple way is that you do it their way or the highway.  No doubt
they have great service when they replace your laptop battery, but try
to do it yourself to save some bucks and you get to contend with 15
screws and perhaps some will not accept any driver in your toolbox.
:)

Then again, I'm typing this on a CR-48 that uses secure boot.  But I
can flip the developer switch at any point and install my own version
of chrome on it...