Jack Hill on 29 Jan 2011 07:21:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Can wifi mesh networks make up for Internet Service non-Providers

On Saturday 29 January 2011 09:19:38 Matt Berlin wrote:
> I've been thinking about this.  I suppose no one thinks of it until
> it's too late.
>
> Let's not be too late here.
>
> Matthew Berlin
> arkestra@gmail.com
> 535 Misty Patch Rd.
> Coatesville, PA 19320
> (484) 832-1055
>

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> > http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml
> >
> > Had they been prepared, I wonder how realistic it would have been for
> > Egyptians to set up mesh networks with Wifi enabled PCs for communication
> > and coordination within metropolitan areas.
> >
> > I wonder if there is an opportunity to create Linux live systems to go on
> > USB images with mesh networking enabled so that it comes on automatically.
> >
> > Regards
> > -- Bhaskar

The OLPC project is working with mesh networks
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details>. Their goal (I think) is
mostly to overcome lack of infrastructure. I'm not sure how easy it would be
to disrupt by deploying lots of rouge nodes. I also can't find a discussion on
how successful these networks have been, but this still was an interesting
read.

Jack