Art Alexion on 30 Jan 2011 15:25:23 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Can wifi mesh networks make up for Internet Service non-Providers
- From: Art Alexion <email@example.com>
- To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Can wifi mesh networks make up for Internet Service non-Providers
- Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:28:46 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:subject:references:from:content-type:x-mailer :in-reply-to:message-id:date:to:content-transfer-encoding :mime-version; bh=A1VI6hr00AwXWSWKzs2OXqgLs7kHBf8gjn7SkEnSZJI=; b=PKFu+JlChcZLn2zC99rGMgIDX7+7pteDbMNvHUQ9XP4dNYkBJ29d86RZEMhoDo95dA mmyGj9RIR213AxnbFUZ4/Jhxjsfk6O/NhDQMXtbdGqtCTdiugtDAyRxNYgo4lpi2MczL kxBVqZv4ltYDEQcog+U8IxL7tKN4u+qLv9bwQ=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Matt Berlin <email@example.com> wrote:
I've been thinking about this. I suppose no one thinks of it until
it's too late.
Let's not be too late here.
I'm not sure mesh networks will ever take off until the supply of
bandwidth greatly exceeds the demand.
Mesh networks tend not to be as efficient as direct networks, and
direct networks aren't that expensive. That means that most people
will be content to stick with traditional ISPs. Sure, the mesh is
more resistant to disruption, but few will install a network "just in
case" big brother takes over.
Mesh networks are pretty good for the last mile, but as distance
increases they tend to saturate since the pipes aren't big. You need
to get data off the mesh onto cables quickly for it to work. Those
cables of course are easily intercepted.
The first thing I thought of is off campus student housing. Next thing I thought of is densely populated poorer neighborhoods. I teach college courses at Congreso in West Kensington. Often, the only Internet access available to my students is their smartphones.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug