Art Alexion on 9 Feb 2011 05:07:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Newsweek: "Dictator-proofing the Internet"

On Feb 8, 2011, at 2:15 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

Topical wrt the "mesh" discussion.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/02/06/dictator-proofing-the-internet.print.html

by Daniel LyonsFebruary 06, 2011

   "When authorities in Egypt shut down Internet connections during last weekâs uprising, hackers around the world started scrambling to create a work-around. Before they could succeed, the blackout was lifted. But now people are worried that similar shutdowns might occur in countries like Jordan, Syria, and Yemenâand so hackers are working to set up alternative networks in those countries, just in case."

Newsweek forgot the US among the countries with people worried of similar shut downs.

With the unfortunate timing of his bill with Mubarak's shutdown, Sen. Lieberman is now backing off of the extent of his bill, but defending elements. Most of us have faced situations where it was prudent to pull an Ethernet cable (say, from an infected Windows computer), but there, we were making our own decision for ourselves.

--
Art Alexion