JP Vossen on 21 Feb 2011 22:17:40 -0800

[PLUG] Fix...annoying...stuff

This also came up at last night's PLUG W meeting.

My personal name for this script is "fix_stupid_stuff" but that is really personal and subjective. But, fix_stuff_that_annoys_jp is too damn long, so... I also have no need or desired to remember any of this, so this is an example of what I mean by having a script *be* documentation. This code is a list of things that bug me, it has URLs for more info, and it goes and fixes the stuff for me. Multi-purpose...

Not everyone will agree and not all of these may be needed or desired by everyone. In particular, the DPMS stuff seems very intermittent for both my System76 WildDog desktop and my wife's Dell D630 laptop, so I hack-around it with this. Whatever...

You need to be logged in and in the GUI of the machine in question for this stuff to work.

<code>
#!/bin/bash -
# fix_stupid_stuff--Fix stupid stuff Ubuntu and/or Gnome do

# $Id: fix_stupid_stuff 1706 2010-11-24 23:03:58Z root $

# Ubuntu 10.04 put window buttons in the wrong place
# See also: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/532633 # http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/
gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout \
  --type string 'menu:minimize,maximize,close'

# Menu Super_L; make the "Windows" key open the menu like it should
xmodmap -e 'remove mod4 = Super_L'
gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_main_menu \
  --type=string 'Super_L'

# Prevent Update Manager from popping up
gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

# DPMS (Energy Star) for screen: standby, suspend, off
xset dpms 0 600 1200
</code>

'man gconftool-2' and goofing and Googling around will be useful.

Oh yeah, I break my own rule about having a '-h' option in this one. If you can't figure it out by the name...

Later,
JP