Matt Murphy on 25 Feb 2011 04:04:01 -0800

[PLUG] Job opportunities with unspecified hosting company. Chili festival in close proximity?

I hope this isn't inappropriate for this list... I can't find any indications that it is yet.  I apologize if it is.

I was contacted by a recruiter looking for Linux Admins, etc.  The Admin positions range from $50K to $85 and there are some higher end positions that tip over into 6 figures (Jobs with the word "Architect" somewhere in the title.).  I'm not available because he's working for a client who is hiring in Texas and my wife is allergic to Texas.  But I thought, hey, people move from this area to Florida all the time:  Why not Texas?  Two positions that he thought were maybe in my reach (therefore, they are *not* the 6-figure jobs) are below.  I think he may have mentioned something about the his client providing some help with the move, but my recollection is fuzzy on that point.  Sorry.  His contact information is below as well.  If you're interested in a move give him a call or drop him an email.

Mention me and I might get a referral bonus.  Yaay.

By the way, if anyone was able to record the audio of the Bash lecture, I'd really like to get my hands on a copy.  I was unable to attend.  My wife and two friends bullied me into all-you-can-eat ribs and then barely a rack, between them.  :(

Cheers,
Matt Murphy
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <Joseph.Walsh@modis.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Subject: Nice talking to you!!
To: "mattyhead@gmail.com" <mattyhead@gmail.com>

  Mathew,

It was nice visiting with you on these positions I have available. Again any help you can provide will be much appreciated, thanks again for your time and consideration.

Joe Walsh
Resource Development Manager

Modis-Austin
Office: 512.721.0395
Cell: 512.825.2755
www.modis.com

Mathew certifications for these positions are not required but ideal, thank you.

Linux Administrator Level 3 in addition to Level 2

Level III - Linux Administrator

·          SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: Ability to conduct SW compiling. Excellent knowledge of clustering, My SQL, network fundamentals, and Shell scripting. Understands the OSI model and able to apply this knowledge. Excellent knowledge of our clients Products. Excellent understanding of DNS. Knowledge of OM report and ILO.

·          JOB COMPLEXITY: Take ownership of customer issues to include: routing, prioritization, troubleshooting to resolution. Issues addressed at this level would include: Ability to add in non-standard modules to Apache. Understands performance monitors and their output using tools such as Cacti, Open NMS, Munin, SNMP.Basic RPM building skills. Troubleshoots and configures replication for MySQL. Custom compile RPMS’s and software. Builds and tests RH clusters using advanced storage. Performance tuning. Able to serve as an SME for projects. Involved in cross departmental projects. Creates technical documents for review and use on the Wiki.

·          SUPERVISION: Works under minimal supervision.

·          EXPERIENCE: Requires 2+ years Linux principles experience working in a computer technical field. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering related field or equivalent work experience, preferred. RHCT certification is required. RHCE preferred.

Linux Administrator Level 4 in addition to Level 3

Level IV - Linux Administrator

·          SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE: Basic understanding of Linux languages (PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, etc.). Expert knowledge of MySQL Replication setup and troubleshooting. Knowledge and experience with Oracle troubleshooting. Ability to build and maintain advanced application cluster configurations. Capable of supporting highly available and globally redundant solutions.  Experience with documenting customer environments in Visio.

·          JOB COMPLEXITY: Cluster configuration and troubleshooting. Handles highly complex large customer configuration and troubleshooting. Ability to recommend performance optimization to customers. Mentors lower level technicians and able to server as a Lead Technician in their absence. Works with Level III Tchs to identify gaps in training and process. Reviews and approves technical documents for the Wiki.

·          SUPERVISION: Works without supervision.

·          EXPERIENCE: Requires 3+ years Linux principles experience working in a computer technical field. Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering related field or equivalent work experience, preferred. RHCE certification is required.