Eric H. Johnson on 7 Mar 2011 17:21:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [OT] waiting for a socket/event vs. waiting for a socket/event

Bhaskar,

Does that make any more sense than the British tendency to say something like âHarrods in Brompton Rd.â as opposed to "Macyâs on Market street" as we would tend to say here? I envision having to go down a manhole to get to Harrods. :)

At any rate, to answer your question I think it is most common to say "wait on" in reference to a person, but "wait for" in reference to an event, or at least an event that does not involve a person. So one would typically "wait for" the train [to arrive] or wait for the socket to respond.

BTW, how to you feel about "down the shore"? :)
(NB, I never use the phrase except when mocking native Philadelphians)

Regards,
Eric

One of my pet peeves about colloquial American English is the use of "waiting on" when what is meant is "waiting for" - as in "I'll be waiting on you downstairs" to which I am often tempted to reply "Thank you, but I don't intend to dine downstairs."

Does a process wait for a socket/event or does a process wait on a socket/event?

Thank you very much.