Jeff Bailey on 14 Mar 2011 10:40:56 -0700

[PLUG] DoS protection

Hey all...

I'm curious as to whether anyone has any input on methods of Denial of Service attack protection, specifically for an exposed DNS server.

I've been looking at snort and bro, but was wondering what anyone's input would be...  Are there any other options?

Is this something that can (or "should") be handled more simply by iptables?  One of my potential issues with snort is that it looks like there might be a lot of tuning involved - these will be deployed at customer sites, and I'm not confident that we''ll have the ability to do that tuning for them, nor that they'll have the desire/ability to do it themselves.  I'm hoping to find something that's a little more "plug and play", if such a thing exists.

Thanks for any input....