Julien Vehent on 21 Mar 2011 08:22:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Postfix bastion host?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Chris Nehren <c.nehren/plug@shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
On Mar 21, 2011, at 4:11 AM, JP Vossen wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1) What IMAP server do you recommend on Debian Squeeze 64-bit with Postfix and (mostly) Thunderbird?  I'm currently using courier-imap-4.4.0-2 (Maildir) on Debian Lenny 32-bit, so it might be a bit easier to re-use some configs.  But maybe something else is better?  These jump out at me in the stock Squeeze repos:
>       courier-imap - Courier mail server - IMAP server  # Using now
>       cyrus-imapd-2.2 - Cyrus mail system - IMAP support
>       dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
>       mailutils-imap4d - GNU mailutils-based IMAP4 Daemon

I would second the Dovecot suggestion as it's extremely simple. My config using SSL is 41 lines, excising the default config's (from which I built mine) copious commentary and blank lines.

I'm a cyrus-imap fan. It's very reliable and simple to configure. Dovecot and Cyrus-Imap are really the 2 big (if not only) options nowadays.

Julien