linc on 11 Apr 2011 07:02:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Xoom warning

On 04/11/2011 09:53 AM, jeff wrote:
If you're considering shelling out what they're asking for a Xoom, be
aware that you need to load drivers to transfer files to it or charge
via USB. Also, there are NO linux drivers. Period.

You can ftp at the moment. Someone put some udev rules on his blog that
allegedly work, but I haven't tried yet.

The Samsung Galaxy does not require drivers but I haven't had a chance
to plug it in to see if it gets recognized.

If you have any questions, ask away.

I had a xoom and took it back. It's not anywhere near ready for primetime yet. The apps tend to crash, no cisco vpn client, etc.. As far as file transfer, it does not do usb mass storage, it uses MTP. You can easily install mtpfs on your linux box and use that to mount your xoom. That being said, as I mentioned before, I took mine back :)
Ymmv.

--
-Linc Fessenden