JP Vossen on 13 Apr 2011 14:48:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011 - "From POST to xhost: The Linux Boot Process" presented by Rich Freeman (PLUG North@CoreDial in Blue Bell)

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:02:34 -0400
From: Rich Freeman

[...]
And JP, thanks for keeping me honest on my MS-DOS claims.  I suspect
that you might have more success with a non-USB floppy controller
(physical or emulated), for the reasons you suggested.

Yup. And I'm an idiot. The reason the PE-650 didn't work is that it HAS a physical floppy drive. It's all black on black and in a shadow in my rack; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

So it booted just fine when I dumped the USB floppy drive and used the built-in one. I did have to turn it on and fiddle with boot order in the BIOS. Then I booted, got an A: prompt and was unable to type as the USB keyboard (that just worked to change the BIOS settings), didn't work anymore. :-)

Believe it or
not when you turn on your modern 64-bit PC the BIOS will instruct the
Northbridge to ensure that accessing address 1MB+1 goes to address 1
in memory, just as it would on an 8088 with only 20 physical address
lines but the ability to logically address ~20.09 bits.  And no, JP, I
have no idea whether Intel-based Macs gate A20...:)

I'll try to remember to bring the floppy & drive to PLUG W and we can test it if someone has a Mac laptop.

Later,
JP